My driver's side motor
failed by seizing up solid, it couldn't be moved so the car couldn't
be locked! Removing the motor allowed me to lock the door manually
and still alarm the car, whilst a replacement was delivered.
This is a common SZ
problem because water can get inside the doors very easily...and
of course the motors are getting a bit old anyway.
Remove door handle surround.
Prise off the centre panel.
Remove the screw behind
Remove window switches
Remove mirror control
switch from the bottom of the door panel.
Undo and remove the 10mm
Remove top panel.
Loosen the 10mm nut, but
do not remove.
Remove the three wingnuts
inside the door.
The panel can now be removed by gently
pulling down and outwards to reveal the door motor.
Follow the rod from the end of the
motor and unclip from lock mechanism.
Disconnect the wiring (after cutting
tie-wraps) and undo the two bolts to remove actuator.
Old and new on the bench, identical
apart from the connectors which would mean cutting and splicing
the wiring to fit the new motor.
Being a sucker for originality I
really didn't want to cut the original wiring so decided to strip
the motor to see if it could be fixed nothing to lose after
Carefully drill the riveted end of
the copper pins and remove.
Carefully separate the
two halves and don't lose anything.
Remove protective piece
covering the gear wheel and remove the white gear wheel to reveal
The motor had rusted and seized
but a quick turn with a pair of pliers freed it off.
Water was blown out of the motor
with an airline and everything lightly oiled.
There was also water in the casing
which was again removed and blown dry with the airline.
I drilled a small hole
in the base to allow water to drain out in future.
Dry and grease all the
parts before reassembly.
Motor, plunger and wiring
back in place.
Reassemble the two halves
with the motor.
You can plug the motor back in to
test everything moves freely, picture shows the plunger in the
rubber boot after removing moisture.
I decided to use very
fine split pins to secure the plastic casing, this will allow easy
disassembly in future.
and secured, make sure the tabs are placed to the underside (motor)
so they're not seen.
Refit the actuator and reconnect
the wiring plugs.
Check the central locking works BEFORE
putting everything back together!
I took the opportunity
to "bag" the electrical components and actuator for protection
against water ingress lots of water gets into these doors!
Refitting is the usual "reverse of removal", good luck
if you have big hands! I'm really glad I used the original motor
so it's worth having a look before condemning it and having to
chop the wiring.